The 2016 competition will be held on WEDNESDAY 15th MARCH at Queen’s College, 43-49 Harley Street London W1G 8BT (parking is not available at the school). The competition will be held in a single round. The event will begin at 2:00 pm and finish at about 4.30 pm.
Our judges will be John Taylor, author of many Greek and Latin text books, and Gail Trimble of Trinity College Oxford.
Schools and individuals not entering candidates for the competition, but who would like their staff or pupils to learn more about spoken Latin and Greek, perhaps with a view to entering another year, are warmly encouraged to attend, as are friends and parents of the candidates. Home educated pupils are also invited to enter any of these sections.
We will break for tea after the first two sections, from about 3:00 p.m. – 3.20 p.m.
The competition is in six sections, with ONE ENTRY only from each school per section, as follows:
- Beginners’ Latin, open to pupils who have not yet completed 5 terms of Latin (either an individual or group of 3 candidates): Cambridge Latin Course, Book I, St 5, page 61, Poppaea, including all the narrator’s words and stage instructions.
- Beginners’ Greek, open to pupils who have not yet completed 5 terms of Greek: Anacreontea, The Grasshopper
- Pre-GCSE Latin, open to pupils who have not yet taken GCSE in Latin: Virgil’s Aeneid Book 4, lines 305 – 324.
- Greek Dialogue, open to an individual or a pair of candidates at any stage: Sophocles’ Antigone, lines 502 – 523
- Open Latin, open to one candidate at any stage: Tacitus, Annals, Book 1, Ch 17.
- Greek Chorus, open to a group of six to 10 pupils at any stage: Sophocles’ Antigone, lines 332 – 375.
N.B. No candidate may be entered for more than one Latin section. Entries should be sent using the form below to the organiser, with the fee of £30.00 per school, by Friday 10th February 2017.
There will be no charge for non-competing schools/individuals.
Commemorative prizes will be awarded.
Send or email replies to:
Mrs Sarah Harrison
Head of Classics
43 – 49 Harley Street
Tel: 020 7 291 7033 e-mail [email protected]
More details and application forms here.